Rest and relax in one of five beautiful rooms at our bed and breakfast inn.
The five upstairs bedrooms are spacious and airy with large windows, high ceilings and original heart pine floors. Each room has been carefully decorated to offer all the comforts of the present while reflecting the style of a bygone era. Selected fine antique furnishings, reproduction wallpapers and lace curtains over privacy shades at the windows harken back to an earlier time; private baths, central air conditioning, cable TV and free wireless internet have been added for your comfort.
Minimum stays are generally required for weekends, holiday periods, and special events.
Experience a warm welcome at 63 Orange Street Bed and Breakfast Inn
Hattie’s Room is wonderfully romantic with a marvelous king-sized mahogany four-poster bed and extra large whirlpool tub in the large luxurious bathroom. This white-beige decor, with white lacy curtains at the windows, lacy and ruffley lampshades and a pair of comfortable beige easy chairs invites your attention. An old Singer treadle sewing machine and antique Martha Washington sewing cabinet serve as occasional tables. Hand built French doors to the bathroom are curtained in lace to provide privacy and atmosphere.
Rates are $200 weekdays, $230 weekends and holiday periods.
We found two small autograph books in the walls as restoration was being done, dated 1879 and 1880. They belonged to Hattie and Charles Vedder, the first owners of this house. Before moving from Oneida and Utica, NY, their friends and family signed the small books, and then there are signatures from people in St. Augustine.
Bessie’s Room, is a beautifully decorated Victorian and a favorite of many visitors. It is furnished with matched set of 125 year old furniture made of English walnut, with a 7′ high headboard on the queen-sized bed, and 8 ½’ tall armoire, and marble-topped dresser and large wash stand. Beyond lace-curtained French doors is the private bathroom with a whirlpool tub and shower. A private balcony under a large shady oak tree is the perfect spot for your early morning cup of coffee or late night glass of wine.
Rates are $180 weekdays, $210 weekends and holiday periods.
Hattie Antinica Besye (Bessie) Vedder was born in this house on August 12, 1884, the youngest child of Charles John and Harriet Louisa Vedder, who were the first owners. Before the bed and breakfast opened, I met Bessie’s great-grandchildren who still live in Northeast Florida and have shared family history with me.
Kate’s Room is a suite with a queen-sized iron bed and an armoire in the frontroom and a small sunny sitting area with day bed in what was once an upstairs back porch, making it suitable for a third person.* Because these rooms are sunny and bright, they are decorated in a quaint and nostalgic old Florida style. The bathroom with old-fashioned soaking tub/shower is off the sitting room. The private balcony overlooking the flower gardens and small goldfish pond is a special delight for everyone who stays here.
Rates are $180 weekdays, $200 weekends and holiday periods.
*Kate’s room has a twin sized daybed for a third person. There is a $25 extra person charge.
Kate Shorter is one of the Shorter sisters who was raised in this house from about 1900 until they were grown. Kate later returned to live here with her sister Maud who owned the house for many decades.
Maud’s Room, overlooking the upstairs front porch, is an elegant and beautifullyVictorian room, softly bright and cheerful. The 125 year old set of English walnut furniture is comprised of a queen-sized bed with 7′ high headboard, matching armoire and marble top dresser, and a shaving stand. A lovely ivory colored crocheted bedspread was made by Jackie’s grandmother more than 50 years ago. The hallway bathroom has a clawfoot soaking tub (with added shower head) original to this house. Robes have been provided for your comfort. (For the convenience of extended families, this room and Hattie’s have connecting doors.)
Rates are $160 weekdays, $185 weekends and holiday periods.
Maud is one of the Shorter sisters who was raised in this house. She became an English teacher and principal and lived here throughout her 48 years of teaching and into her retirement.
Effie Florence’s Room
Effie Florence’s Room has a charming bedroom set from the 1920’s consisting of a3/4 poster queen-sized bed, armoire, and vanity. An inviting overstuffed chair and a wicker rocker offer place to sit and relax. The hallway bathroom is the original bathroom to the house with the original clawfoot tub (and shower) and century old corner sink from Flagler’s Alcazar Hotel. Robes are provided in the armoire for your comfort. Just outside the door is the entrance to the shady upstairs front porch where you can relax in porch rockers under ceiling fans.
Rates are $160 weekdays, $185 weekends and holiday periods.
* Effie’s Room has a twin daybed for a third person. There is a $25 extra person charge.
Effie is another of the Shorter sisters who was raised here. A copy of her journal, written as a young school teacher at the beginning of the 20th Century, is available to view.
Guest Info & Policies…
- Office hours are 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Rates include a full home-cooked breakfast.
- Weekdays are Sunday nights through Thursday nights. Weekends are Friday and Saturday nights. Minimum stays are generally required for weekends, holiday periods and special events. Special discounted rates apply during certain times of the year and for extended stays of 4 days or more. All rates are subject to change without notice and do not include taxes or gratuities.
- Discounts are available for corporate travelers, active military and AARP members. Corporate discounts are for single occupancy guests in town on business Sunday through Thursday nights. AARP members and active duty military receive 10% off all week. Holiday periods and special events not included. Requests must be made at time of reservation.
- Payment may be made with traveler’s checks, cash, Visa, Mastercard.
- Arrival and Departure: Check in is 2-8 p.m. Late arrivals by prior arrangement only. Check out is by 11 a.m. (or by prior arrangement).
- Cancellation policy. Should you need to revise your reservation, changes made 7 days or more before your arrival date (14 days during holidays or special events) will be charged a $50 service charge. Changes made less than 7 days before your arrival date (or less than 14 days during holidays or special events) will incur the cost of one night. No shows, same day cancellations and early departures will incur the full cost of the reservation.
- Children carefully supervised by their parents are always welcome. Our guests appreciate a quiet and peaceful environment. Kate’s room is a suite and has a twin daybed for a third person. There is a $25 extra person charge.
- Restrictions: Smoking is restricted to balconies and porches. Even the use of candles cannot be permitted inside. Evidence of smoking or use of candles inside will incur a $125 charge and you will be asked to leave immediately, forfeiting any remaining rent. (It’s an insurance thing!)
- Pets: We regret that pets can not be permitted. If you are traveling with pets we will be happy to provide information on nearby pet accommodations.
- Special Touches: Orders can be placed for flowers, cakes, gift baskets, dinner reservations, massage, or anything else you might require. All you need do is ask!
- Gift Certificates are available for all special occasions–birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc. Our gift certificates make a great “thank you” or “just thinking of you” gift.